Do you want to work on a project with a social impact? Join the team at Code for America as a Senior Software Engineer and help us build an open source platform.
Do you want to join a new startup? Then join the team at Fluree as a Software Engineer and help us create a revolutionary data platform.
December 1, 2022: 25 Days of Code Challenges with the Advent of Code
Are you ready for a fun coding challenge? The Advent of Code is always fantastic and now in its eighth year. With a little time each day, you can complete the puzzles and share your solutions with others. Get a feel for it by completing day one in less than 10 minutes. Join the sub-Reddit to discuss your solutions and pick up some new tricks from other people’s approaches.
Node v19.2.0 (Current) Released
The latest version of Node is out and it comes with changes to the daylight savings rules for Fiji and Mexico, a V8 version bump, a fast path for UTF-8 encoding and steps towards Web File API implementation. Check out the example usage code.
Memetria: Secure, Scalable, Full-Featured Redis 7 Hosting
Count on Memetria for the latest Redis features, plus the tools teams need to scale as they grow.
Electron 22.0 Released, Plus Other Electron News
The popular cross platform desktop framework continues to evolve with version 22 jumping up to Chromium 108 and Node 16.17.1. The UtilityProcess API is the new feature. Note that support for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 will end with Electron 23 and v22 is the final version to support Windows < 10. Electron Forge 6 has also been released, offering a ‘batteries included build pipeline’ for Electron apps. The Electron project is taking December to recharge their batteries for 2023 (or maybe to do Advent of Code? ;-))
- Congratulations to NearForm and Fastify’s Rafael Gonzaga who is the newest Node.js TSC member.
- There’s an open job listing at GitHub for working on the npm CLI.
Deploying Node Apps to AWS: Building an Automated CI/CD Pipeline
Learn how to deploy apps to AWS using CodeBuild and CodeDeploy and triggered by pushes to a git repo.
NPM Security: Preventing Supply Chain Attacks
Follow Snyk’s guide to npm security practices to prevent supply chain attacks and other security threats.
A Beginner’s Guide to Parsing (and Creating) XML with Node
For those just starting out with XML parsing, learn the basics with Geshan Manandhar’s guide.
🛠 Code & Tools
- vm2: A sandbox for running untrusted Node code.
- Bee Queue 1.5: Redis-backed robust job/task queue.
- oclif 3.3: CLI dev framework, built by Salesforce.
- AdminJS 6.7: Front-end admin panel for Node apps.
- Foal 3.1: Full-featured Node.js framework.
- Light My Request 5.7: Fake HTTP request/response injection library.
- Slonik 33.0.4: Type-safe PostgreSQL client.
Check out these great opportunities and take the next step in your career:
- Create a profile on Hired to connect with hiring managers at growing startups and Fortune 500 companies.
- Help migrate CKEditor 5 to TypeScript as a Senior JS/TS Developer for a leading Rich Text Editor.
- Join the team at SparkPost as a Software Engineer and help build the future of email.
- Join the team at Code for America as a Senior Software Engineer and help build an open source platform.
- Join the team at Fluree as a Software Engineer and help create a revolutionary data platform.